Sunday, July 29, 2012

And Finally, Meeting Another Duck in Puerto

The third and final place we stayed during our stay in Puerto Escondido was the Tower Bridge Hostel. While still in Puerto Escondido, the Tower Bridge was a few miles down the coast from the Zicatela Beach. We were a twenty minute walk from the Carizalillo Beach, a beautiful little cove with small, gentle waves perfect for easy floating and learning how to surf.
As the name would indicate, the Tower Bridge was a vaguely British themed hostel owned by a British expat. The front sitting area had old but comfortable couches that afforded a perfect view of the hostel's ceiling, which was an impressive tribute to British singers and bands. The room gave way to a gorgeous open courtyard with an outdoor pool and charming walkways. There was also a bar and food area with the most eclectic collection of graffiti and decorative items. It was also home to the sweetest little Tabby whom a chalk sign informed us was named Doc. It was at the bar that we made ourselves most comfortable, ensconcing ourselves in more comfortably worn-in couches and making easy conversation with our fellow guests. The bar at the Tower Bridge, it seemed, attracted patrons from several surrounding hotels and hostels. This was not surprising, though, as the bar was run by a French chef and a bartender from Portland.
I instantly made friends with Jesse the Bartender, delighted by the fact that he was from Portland, and within minutes I discovered that he too was an Oregon alum and just as in love with Duck football as I. I also found out that even after several months of living and working at the hostel, I was the first Duck he'd encountered in Mexico--Jesse told me that he'd met someone from Oregon State, but to a Duck, a Beaver is a poor substitute. As silly as it was to sit at a bar in the middle of paradise to talk about football and Eugene, it was an absolute pleasure to do so. I happily spent many many hours at that bar talking to Jesse the Bartender (who makes a mean mango margarita and a chili coconut mojito that could bring a person to tears) and to Alexi the French chef who was pausing in Puerto to make French fries and the best guacamole ever before continuing his bike ride down to South America. I also made instant best friends with Damien from Sligo, a couple of girls from Paris, a guy from Guadalajara, and so many others. We talked, laughed, drank, and had a phenomenal time living the good life in this ultimate break from reality.
When we stayed at La Luna, I felt time slow down as we each embraced a slower and more tranquil way of life. At Dan's we sped life up a bit more and learned the true value of a well broken-in hammock, and at the Tower Bridge I fell in love with this Mexican sort of bohemian lifestyle. It was here more than any other one place that I promised myself that I would continue to travel. I swore that I would find more places like the Tower Bridge where I could mingle and meet people from everywhere, and where I could truly escape from the boring or the mundane or commonplace. I would live an adventurous life like Jesse and Alexi and make mojitos in some exotic location. Someday I will be the Duck that some other UO grad will stumble into.
I don't know that Warsaw will necessarily count as my exotic destination or that my new school really equates with drinks mixing, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment